Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Argentina and Antarctica Cruise

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN

Tonight I am flying back to South America. The time I spent in Peru was an incredible, eye opening experience. However, this time I will not be volunteering, I will be a true tourist. This trip is what I have always done in the past. A history professor from Iona College(he does this privately) organizes the entire trip(tours,meals,hotels,flights, ground transportation, etc.). All I have to do is hand him a check. I have gone to Greece, Australia, Ecuador(Galapagos Islands), South Africa, and Alaska all under his supervision. The groups have ranged in age and number. Usually there are at least 20 people that travel with him. I am fortunate to have made this contact(thanks to my sister) and have enjoyed seeing countries this way.

I am not expecting to blog everyday like I did in Peru. I was able to get to an internet cafe almost every single day in Peru. Plus, I had a lot of free time in the afternoon. On this tour, there will be activities planned and many places to visit. My hope is to blog at least once a week.

That being said, I am off to warmer weather(at least in some parts of Argentina) and can't wait to share the new information I learn with all of you.

So long,
KMF

ARGENTINA Jan. 8th- 16th(there is a 3 hour time difference- 7pm in Argentina, 4 pm in NJ).I will be spending 2-3 days in each of the following cities, for a total of 10 days in Argentina.

BUENOS AIRES (east side of Argentina)
I am staying in the capital of Argentina, Buenos Aires! I am already having a wonderful time considering it is summer here. I don´t know the exact temperature, but it felt like it was in the 90s. Today I went on a tour of downtown Buenos Aires. We saw government buildings, churches, main squares, and more. Our tour guide even took us to a place called Caminito in the area of La Boca. The architecture was extremely colorful with buildings painted in vibrant shades of yellow, green, red, blue, and more. We saw many of the views from inside the van. Our last stop was at a cemetery. Sounds odd, right? Why would I visit the final resting place for unknown Argentinians? We went to see final resting place of the famous Argentinian president, Eva Peron, also known as Evita. This cemetery was like no other that I have ever seen. Each person or family had their own plot of land, but it was not underground at all. Each burial chamber was in the form of a small building(think mausoleum). There were thousands of these magnificent tombs made of stone or beautiful marble. It was such a different view of how to honor the dead. Similar to having a monument for each person-family.


Top/Middle -Caminito
Bottom- La Recoleta Cemetery

There is plenty of shopping to do and restaurants to eat at in Argentina. I´ve already heard numerous times that Argentina has the best beef. Similar to all the Peruvians encouraging visitors to try their cuy(guinea pig, yes, they eat it often in Peru). As they say, when in another country, do as they do... I had steak for lunch and dinner. Was it the best, I don´t know, but it was very good .Tonight we went to see a tango. The tango is a type of dance that is extremely popular here. It is full of graceful posturing, frequent pointing positions, quick leg movements, and a variety of steps, including the cross step and turning step. Of course, the dancers made this challenging dance look simple.


Tango Show

Another exciting activity that I did with my tour group was attend a gaucho party(a 45 minute ride outside of the city). Gaucho means cowboy in spanish. The authentic gaucho festival took place in a beautiful old ranch. We were able to ride on the horses, eat the bbq food, watch traditional folk dances, and hear songs. My horse was a bit feisty. He truly enjoyed kicking up his hind legs and trying to get to the front of the group. It was only a ten minute ride on the horse(basically riding in a giant circle), however, I was quite happy to dismount my horse. For me, the most enjoyable part of the festival was one of the gauchos dancing. When he danced, he used a prop (called boleadoras)that sounded like a horse as it gallops. Three stones were attached to a long rope. He incorporated this prop by whirling the rope against the floor. As the stones made contact with the floor, it sounded like a horse. It was fantastic to watch. I can´t wait to upload the video so that you can all see it.



A Gaucho, Horses at the ranch



There are many different sections of Buenos Aires, just as in New York City. For example, in NYC there is Soho, Chelsea, Little Italy, Meat Packing district, Upper East side, etc.
I wasn´t able to see all the different areas in Buenos Aires, but I did fall in love with some. The two that I enjoyed the most were Puerto Madero and Palermo. Puerto Madero was within walking distance from my hotel. It is a bunch of outdoor restaurants by the water. I went there my first night in town and enjoyed a small cafe by the water. It is also great for people watching. On my last night, I took a 15 minute taxi ride to Plaza Serrano in Palermo. It was actually called Palermo Soho and it was absolutely amazing. I could even imagine myself living there. Streets made from cobblestone with various trendy shops and restaurants. People playing music and many young people walking around, tons of energy. There are even street fairs on the weekends. This area of Plaza Serrano was by far my favorite part of Buenos Aires. There was even a street called Armenia. :)





Top-SoHo Palermo
Bottom-Puerto Madero

IGUAZU FALLS (Northeast area of Argentina)


Iguazu (pronounced ee-gwuh-zoo) Falls are one of world´s greatest natural wonders. I was definitely in awe of the power, beauty, and size of the falls. Considered one of the largest waterfalls in the world, it is located on the border of Argentina and Brazil. Seventy percent of the falls are on the Argentina side. The site is composed of about 275 waterfalls. How many waterfalls a visitor can see depends on the season and the amount of rain.


Top -walk way to DEVIL's THROAT
Middle- Devil's Throat
Bottom- View of Brazil side of the falls



The next part of the day involved viewing the falls from the upper and lower circuits. Here we walked above the falls on a paved walkway and were able to see the view from up high. The lower circuit gave us more opportunities to come up close with the falls and feel the water. We actually enjoyed the water as the day went on because of the high temperature.

The most thrilling part of the whole experience was the gran aventura. We paid an extra 50 dollars and went on a speed boat ride into the falls. After taking off our shoes and securing the rest of our belongs in a waterproof bag, we headed to the base of the waterfall. The speed boat zoomed into the falls and we were totally drenched. It was absolutely mind blowing. Not one inch of my body or clothing was dry. We screamed ¨otro vez¨, again. The driver responded and again we were soaked by the falls. It wasn´t like a hose being sprayed, but buckets of water dumped over and over and over again. Most of the people in the boat turned their heads every time white water came pouring down. With my sunglasses on, I could take it all in without missing out on the sight. Our group continued to chant again that we wanted more. I was so excited I felt like a little child at Disney World. I never imagined I would have this much fun at Iguazu Falls. The boat then took us to another fall. It went full speed ahead right into the crashing waves and all you could see was white. This of course was followed by more chanting. Two more times and we were truly satisfied. Next we were taken to a dock and attempted to dry off. We loaded onto a huge truck and took a ride through the subtropical rain forest. Our tour guide spotted a toucan and I was able to get a picture from far away. Throughout the day I saw butterflies, lizards, coatimundi (related to the raccoon and looks like one as well), and one iguana.


Top- Gran Aventura
Middle- Coatimundi
Bottom- Toucan in Subtropical Rain forest(click on picture to get a better view)



The rest of the group had purchased a visa for Brazil and were headed to see the amazing Panoramic view of the falls. My new friends, Joe and Sen, went with me back on the lower circuit. We were trying to visit the little island at Iguazu Falls called San Martin. We raced along the roads, pathways, steps, and rocks. Unfortunately we weren´t able to make the boat. So, we decided to do something we thought would be exciting, go back to the devil´s throat. We were also sweaty and thought it would be nice to cool off by the throat as we did this morning. By the time we reached the balcony area it was 5:30 or so. To our disappointment, the wind had totally died down and the sun was shining brightly. We took in the beauty of it all, but didn´t get the cooling relief of the water. The spectacular view of the falls and rainbows concluded our visit to Iguazu Falls.

If you ever travel to Argentina, you MUST visit the falls. I imagine they are better than Niagara Falls(although I have never been there, I just know it must be). I don´t even feel that this blog entry did the falls justice. It is a hidden gem that is magnificent. There are hundreds of beautiful things in this world to see and Iguazu Falls is definitely one of them.


CALAFATE(Southern part of Argentina) Patagonia Region, Perito Moreno Glacier

Calafate( is a small Patagonian village on the shores of the breathtakingly blue(almost turquoise) Lago Argentino. Tourism has recently increased in this area and there are thousands of tourists walking up and down the one main road the village offers. Shops selling postcards, t-shirts, jewelry, fudge, jams, and Argentinian souvenirs. Also, internet cafes, like the one I am in right now. Restaurants seem to be located on every street corner as well as between every little tourist shop. November through March is the busy season because it is the summer in this southern part of Argentina. Due to the location on the latitudinal line and the placement of the earth, this area has long, long days(during the summer). On Dec. 21st(the longest day of the year for them, our shortest) the sun rose at 4 am and didn´t set until 11 pm at night. I can tell you that the two nights I spent here it was still light out at 10 pm. I will also mention that their winter is not an easy life, frigid temperatures and darkness. All they manage to do is eat, sleep, and ice-skate. Days are very short(10 am -5 pm the sun is out) and similar to Alaska, there can be some depression. The wind also played a big part in our full day tour. The sun was out, but the weather here can go from one extreme to another(rain, wind, sunshine, snow). We had plenty of sun, lots of chilling winds, and even a little rain shower in the afternoon. Layers are a must because one can never really tell what to expect.




Our main area of interest was an hour ride to Perito Moreno Glacier in Los Glaciares National Park. The glacier, located in Santa Cruz, is more than impressive. Wow doesn´t seem enough of a term to use when describing how I reacted when I first viewed it. Nonetheless, wow, kept coming out of my mouth. Also, I should mention that the glacier is surrounded by the Andes Mountain Range. The views seemed unreal similar to something you might see in a magical land far away. The glacier, 30 Kilometers long(18 miles long for us), could be viewed several ways. The south side, north side, straight on, and a little bit above. The first way we saw the glacier was up close on a boat excursion. The boat took us to the north side(or face) of the glacier. Here we watched with anticipation in silence. Cameras and video cameras were ready for the show to begin. We wanted to hear ice cracking and witness the glaciers "calving." Calving is the process of breaking up or splintering to produce a detached piece. I´ve seen calving in Alaska, and it is quite an exciting moment. People oooh and aaah, scream, snap away on their camera, and stare in amazement at the phenomenon they just observed. We had approximately one hour to play the waiting game. During the one hour on the boat, I was able to see some small calving(5 or 6). First, you will hear a cracking sound. Then, a chunk of ice will calve off the face of the glacier into the water. Once the chunk hits the water, it sounds as if a gunshot was just fired. It is a dramatic display of nature´s power that lasts only a matter of seconds.



Views on the boat.
Bottom picture- calving on left side(click on it to enlarge)

The Perito Moreno Glacier was absolutely stunning. It appears to be turquoise blue because of the dense amount of snow/ice and how the sunlight passes through the thick mass of ice. Over time, the ice has been compressed(ice melts and then freezes again and again). Depending on which colors are absorbed, usually the weaker colors, stronger colors are reflected. Therefore, blue is seen because it has a stronger energy. Regardless of the science behind it, jaws were dropping all day long. There are about 2,000 visitors a day to this glacier.

This glacier is unlike almost all other glaciers on the planet, it is not shrinking or receding, it actually advances 6-7 feet a day!!! It is subtle because of the calving that happens at the same time. One other thing I would like to mention about the glacier was that it was far from flat. At the top of the glacier I could see how jagged the points were. Creating images as if a bunch of praying hands were in a formation. Or, think of a thousand sugar ice cream cones upside down, all with different characteristics.


After the boat excursion, we loaded back onto our bus and drove on a dirt road to another viewing station. Here there were viewing platforms and easy trails to get up close to the glaciers. The south side and the north side could be seen as well as the view from above. This was an incredible sight. I could see that the glacier stretched on for miles. To say it was massive still does not help to explain what I saw with my eyes. It is another MUST see beauty of Argentina.




WHAT and WHERE IS PATAGONIA??
I will do my best to try to explain in simple terms what I have learned thus far. I will be heading to at least on more region of Patagonia on my cruise.

Patagonia is a region on the continent of South America that includes the southernmost area of Argentina and Chile. It was named by Magellan(in 1520s) because he described the natives of the land as giants(or so he thought). Patagonia translates to "Land of Big Feet." There are varying weather conditions and landscapes in each region. Andes Mountains, lakes, glaciers, and other natural wonders have recently made this a popular travel destination despite the harsh conditions of the climate. I am looking forward to learning more about this region and I am sure you can too.

BARILOCHE (west side of Argentina) Patagonia region

Nahuel Huapi Lake

Bariloche(ba -rey- lo-ch -eh) is situated at the foothills of the Andes surrounded by lakes and mountains. It is known for the massive lakes, skiiing, the Swiss, and chocolate. Upon arrival to Bariloche, many of the people I was traveling with kept commenting how much the structure of the houses, landscapes, and the area reminded them of Switzerland. I have never been there, but I trust their judgement. There are two busy or high seasons in Bariloche, summer and winter. Summer, which is right now, for the beautiful scenery of the lakes and mountains, trekking/climbing, and water sports. In the winter, Bariloche is packed with people who love skiing. It is the biggest ski resort in all of South America.

Tourism is by far the largest industry here. There are hundreds of hotels or lodging places. The downtown area(a 15 minute walk from our hotel) is much bigger than Calafate. However, it is still small because I bumped into a person I met on the plane(not in my tour group). Again, similar to Calafate, stores, restaurants promoting all the wonders of Bariloche. T-shirts, outdoor clothes, ski gear, mittens, sweaters, and of course....CHOCOLATE. Every third store is a chocolate stop selling homemade chocolate where the buyer has over 20 different types to select from. This also includes some fondue shops, another influence of the Swiss. I can tell you that I have enjoyed testing numerous locations to see which one I like best. Tonight I will head into town to continue my research. ;)




As I mentioned, the main attraction in the summer is the lake area, specifically Nahuel Huapi Lake. It is the largest of the lakes and the national park is named after it. Our hotel actually sits right above the lake, providing spectacular views. As I was trying to sleep last night, all I could hear was the howling of the wind and crashing of the water. It amazes me that the windows haven't been blown in from the power and force of the wind. Today we did a very short tour. For the most part, it involved sitting in a van and stopping at four locations to take pictures of the main lake and other surrounding lakes. I could see how visitors would find this a big attraction. It was extremely windy out and so we only took a couple minutes to take pictures and then hopped back into the van. At the fourth and final stop we had an opportunity to take a ski chairlift up to a special viewing area. I was definitely interested in doing something more active than sitting in the van. Twenty-five pesos later I positioned myself and plopped down on the ski lift. The chairlift ride was a fun way of transporting ourselves to the top. The panoramic view of the lakes was fantastic. Again, it was so windy(apparently next week will be in the 80s and not as windy) that most of us sat in the little coffee shop and gazed out at the lake. The rest of the day we were given free time to explore the little shops and city on our own. I decided to take some time to work on this blog and then strolled around the streets of Bariloche.




The time I spent in Bariloche was beautiful, but it could not even be compared to my experiences in Iguazu and Calafate(Glalcier). I don't want you to think that I didn't appreciate seeing this amazing lake surrounded by the Andes Mountains. However, Iguazu Falls was magnificent and the awe that was produced by the sight of the massive glacier(Perito Moreno), could not be topped.

DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA...Did you really think I wouldn't write it at some point? It was impossible not to sing the song while in the country. It was constantly in my head.

My time in Argentina has come to an end. I am taking one more domestic flight back to Buenos Aires and there our group will board the ship for the Antarctica cruise. I have taken four flights within the country of Argentina. Reaching each destination by plane was the quickest way to get in all our sight-seeing and excursions. My luggage was never lost, but I did have some other bumps along the way. When I was in one airport, I lost my boarding pass. I had 40 minutes to run to the other terminal and be issued a new one before the flight was scheduled to depart. I wish I could say I was collected and calm about it, but as usual I was a bit flustered. Additionally, the day we flew out of Iguazu Airport it was pouring rain. My luggage must of been left outside in the rain for a bit because when I opened my luggage in Calafate, it was drenched. I ended up having to use the laundry services at the hotel. I like to share these little bits of information to let you know that there are always (or at least in my case) unexpected surprises along the way.

I also forgot to mention a couple things about Argentina. The currency is called pesos. The exchange rate is 3 pesos for 1 dollar, similar to Peru. Mate(mah-tay) is a popular drink that people all over Argentina drink. It is usually had at a friend's house or with family. It is not found in restaurants. The dried leaves of the Mate are combined with hot water. It is sipped through a silver or metal straw served in a gourd. 2/3 of the gourd is filled with the dried leaves. The consumers must continue to put hot water in the gourd after every couple of sips. It is bitter at first and then becomes more enjoyable. I thought it was okay(much better if sugar is added), similar to a bitter green tea.


Drinking Mate

Argentina was above and beyond my expectations. To be honest, I was not aware of how many natural wonders this country held. I was only able to visit a small portion of the country, but I highly recommend traveling to ARGENTINA!!!!

ANTARCTICA CRUISE(cruising around Antarctica) Jan. 17th-Feb. 1st

***I am writing the night before the cruise and I just wanted to let you know some things. First of all, to use the internet on the cruise will cost an arm and a leg. This means I may not be able to blog or write as much. Also, I will be stopping at 4 specific ports. I will hopefully be able to go into detail about each.

First stop... Montevideo,URUGUAY



Hello Roosevelt and Friends! I am at an internet cafe in Uruguay. It is less costly to use an outside source of communication than on the boat. It is 50 cents a minute on the cruise ship and so I will definitely be limited with my contact.

There are now 17 people total in our group. We were supposed to stop at Montevideo this morning around 8 am, but they gusty winds prevented of us from docking(the port is small and the ship is enormous). Luckily, the weather cooperated later in the afternoon and we disembarked around 5pm. Unfortunately it is Sunday and majority of the town was closed. A group of us walked around, but we couldn´t go in any shops or restaurants. It was almost a "ghost city."

THE CRUISE...

A cruise is another way to see the sights and sounds of the world. I've cruised only once before, around the coast of Alaska in 2002. It was for one week and the cruise went pretty quickly. I didn't become a huge fan of cruise travel because I enjoy staying overnight in the countries or places I visit. On a cruise, there is a limited amount of time at each destination, usually 8 hours maximum and then the passengers return to the ship.
The cruise I am currently on is for 16 days. There are four main ports that our vessel will be stopping at. The other 12 days we are confined to the enormous boat. There are numerous options to entertain ourselves. One choice is to lounge by the pool, swim, or soak in the rays. There are games galore including ping pong, Wii golf, Family Feud, Bingo, and so many more. Another choice is to watch the entertainers perform broadway shows, sing, dance, and act. I have definitely been enjoying these nightly performances. Exercise is a popular activity as the treadmill machines are always occupied. Additionally, if you desiree some pampering there is the ship spa. If you are still not satisfied, the big draw of the cruise is the FOOD. Yes, some people come on cruises for the food, not the sights. At anytime of the day, passengers can head to the buffet to eat as much or as little as they please. Because of the food option and the limited amount of walking, there are many people onboard that are senior citizens. The convenience of having a little mall/hotel all just an elevator ride away can be priceless and quite delightful for many people. I, however, can't imagine going on another cruise any time soon. It is just not my cup of tea. I don't even get seasick, I just feel I experience more while actually "living" in the destination of my choice.


STANLEY, FALKLAND ISLANDS(under British rule)
Visit Volunteer Point, home of King penguins



King Penguins at Volunteer Point


Falkland Islands are east off the coast of South America. In 1982 there was a small war between Argrentina and Great Britain. Lasting only 10 weeks, Argentina was quickly defeated and the islands were then considered a part of Great Britain. While there, anything purchased was paid in pounds. There are two main islands(west and east) in addition to over 700 little islands.

Today I spent time in the capital of Falkland Islands(the East island), Stanley. After a quick look at Stanley, the three people in my group and I headed into our 4 wheel drive vehicle ready for an adventure. The adventure included a 2 hour drive to Volunteer Point where we would see and interact with King penguins. The first hour and 15 minutes of the ride was over a gravel road. There are only 2,500 residents and there are hardly any paved roads. However, the last 45 minutes we drove over a bog type terrain with peat(carbonized vegetable matter). The drive is certainly only for skilled drivers. The land is like a marsh with a soft, waterlogged ground. It was way worse than bumpy. I was being smashed into the my friends, Suzi and Brian, like a pinball in a machine. It was fun, but my back certainly took a beating.



At the site of the King penguins,there were white stones in a circle(no fences). These are intended to mark off the area where visitors shouldn´t disturb the King penguins. The penguins can roam around Volunteer Island free as a bird(I know, I know, I had to say it). I´ll be very honest, we were able to get extremely close regardless of the white stones. Many of the penguins actually waddled off to check outthe white sandy beach. Therefore, if we were quite and moved slow enough we could be as close as l foot away. It was unimaginable being so close to these stunning birds.




KING PENGUINS
-3 feet tall
-by far, most beautiful
with a greyish/black back coat of feathers
with a gold/orange coloring on the neck
-moderate movement
GENTOO PENGUINS
-orange feet and beak
-not much movement at all
- easy to approach and watch




Top-baby Gentoo penguin getting lunch from mom
Middle- Gentoo penguins
Bottom(2 pictures)- Baby Gentoo penguin

MAGELLANIC PENGUINS(pictures at the bottom)
-smallest in size
-black and white(no other color)
-quick movements
FOR SOME REASON THE WEBSITE IS NOT ALLOWING ME TO USE SPACES IN BETWEEN EACH SECTION. THAT IS WHY I AM CHANGING THE COLOR.
Jan. 23-26 CRUISE THROUGH ANTARCTICA

Jan. 23 Elephant Island (named from the form of the island, as it looks like an elephant's head on a map) 39 F




Arriving to Elephant Island was no easy task for the captain and crew. We were informed that in the early hours of the morning there were 10 meter (a little over 30 feet) swells and "hurricane force" winds. I definitely knew the conditions were bad because I had a lot of difficulty sleeping. Additionally, I could hear things clattering around my cabin as well as water crashing outside.
At 10 am our ship arrived at the north end of Elephant Island. It was foggy out and it was a challenge to see the island. About an hour passed and the view from the south side was clearing up. I was able to get some decentphotos on the Starboard (right) side of the ship. We were told that there were numerous penguin colonies. However, the visibility level made it difficult. I did see one chinstrap penguin in the ocean water. It moved so quickly it almost looked like a fish.

Jan. 24 Esperanza Station /Admiralty Bay(King George Island) 37 F




First- Admiralty Bay
Second-Arctowski Polish Research Station
Third- KMF with the scientists
Fourth- Scientists leaving in zodiac

This morning was fantastic! Based on the surroundings and encounters of the day, I can officially say, "I've been to Antarctica!" As you may have figured out, I am doign a scenic tour of a small part of Antarctica. Unfortunately, I won't actually be stepping on land here. I 've heard cruises that allow their passengers that opportunity actually spend only a couple minutes on land before they run back on the ship because of the frigid temperatures and fierce winds.

The day started off nicely. A quick viewing of Esperanza Station and plenty of icebergs scattered throughout the ocean water. Esperanza Station had a bunch of red research buildings and the base actually has tourist facilities(about 1,000 tourists visit each year). Antarctica is the coldest, driest, and windiest continent. From what I've learned, there ae no permanent human residents here. However, scientists/researchers have stations located on many of the small islands or peninsulas.


Around 2pm our cruising ship spotted or second stop, King George Island. Here we would be headed into Admiralty Bay to come face to face with glaciers. The views were spectacular. As we entered Admiralty Bay, we could see the second research station of the day, Arctowski Polish. Again, a handful of rectangular buildings, this time a yellowish/brown color. Passing the station on our left, straight ahead were the glaciers in the bay. Finally, we could see the beauty of Antarctica- glaciers all around with tints of blue, mountains covered by snow, and the pure white sky. I couldn't even tell how high the landforms were because they blended into the sky. Standing on the top of deck(the best viewing spot, but coldest), without glass protection, the wind was wild. The force from the wind made it feel as if I was being stung. I took many pictures and headed inside to warm up and view the glaciers from the balcony in my room.

Our ship of 2,000 plus passengers were in for a special treat today. We were going to have 6 special visitors from the Arctowski Polish Antarctic Station come onboard the ship. At 3pm they entered the ship and headed straight to the bridge of the boat. They shared some information about their specific station. It has been in Admiralty Bay since 1977 focusing on biological fields of study. There are 32 people that live there right now. They mentioned that today was not windy at all. The wind can range from 80-150 miles per hour on a strong day. It was short and sweet, but it was nice to have them speak, even if it was hard to understand their accents.

As soon as I knew they were done speaking, my hunt for the scientists was on. I knew they were somewhere on the boat and I just wanted to meet them. I grabbed my cameras(photo and video) and searched high and low. I looked on deck 14(food court/pools), deck 15(all the viewing balconies), deck 7(receptionist area), no luck. I bumped into some of my friends on the cruise. One of the girls mentioned checking out deck 4(CREW ONLY). After all, this is where the scientists came on board from the zodiac. I quickly raced down the stairs and cautiously entered the area that I was unfamiliar with. I was fortunate to bump into a security man that knew my name. Long story, short: I slipped and fell by the entrance to the food court/buffet two days ago(bruised my knee, but I'm okay) and had to fill out an accident report. This was the man that filled out my report. My lucky day! I explained that I was a teacher and wanted to to show my students a picture of the scientists that live/work on Antarctica. He pulled some strings for me and I patiently waited outside the area they would be coming through. After 15 minutes, my new friend called me in and asked me to stand to the side. One of the other security guards was not happy that I was there since the scientist needed to leave promptly. Just then, the scientists came through with a team of security. Everyone was bundled up in their hats and it took a moment to figure out who was who. The scientists were so friendly and excited to see me(probably because they don't get out much). After one of the male scientists kissed my hand, I quickly greeted the others with a smile and hello. My security friend took the picture of all of us. The moment was so quick I didn't even get to say much, just a lot of smiling and shaking hands. The best part was one researcher asked everyone to wait. He unzipped his backpack and took out his camera. He wanted a picture with me. It was so exciting. Here I was, on deck 4, where I wasn't really supposed to be, but hanging out with the 4 men and 2 women. All the other 2,000 plus passengers had no idea what was going on. As they put on their special gear to leave, I kept receiving smiles and good-byes. I thanked my security friend once again and ran up 3 flights of stairs to deck 7. I could see the six of them plus boxes of fruits and vegetables head back to Arctowski Station.

Jan. 25- Neumayer Channel 25 F





Hello from Antarctica!! I thought yesterday was thrilling, today was even better. The views were just jaw dropping. The scenic tour just keeps getting better and better. The Princess Cruise ship navigated through Bransfield and Gerleche Straits to bring us to Neumayer Channel by Anvers Island. No matter which way I looked, I saw ice covered mountains, glaciers, icebergs, penguins, and pure beauty. The weather was fantastic again with strong winds for us, but not for the Antarctic region. From 10 am to 4 pm I tried to capture the magnificent sights on film. I was able to see gentoo penguins lounging on the icebergs. I even saw a whale tail from the balcony in my room early this morning. There are about 3,000 scientists that live in Antarctica in the summer. However, the in the winter there are only about 300 scientists.




Bottom two photos include penguins. Please click to enlarge. On left side of iceberg and in the water.


Jan. 26- Deception Island



Bottom photo -penguins swimming(click to enlarge)

Today was my last day of scenic viewing on the cruise. We stopped early in the morning near Deception Island. The top of the island is actually a caldera, collapsed volcano. Unlike the snow covered mountains and pure white we've seen, this was dark in color and smaller in size. However, today was the best day to see penguins up close. I peered out from the viewing deck and in groups of 6 or more, the gentoo and chinstrap penguins were flying through the water. I keep telling you they were fast, I am serious. Every time I thought I had my camera ready to take a picture, the penguins would dive back under. It was frustrating with the camera, but to actually just watch them was amazing.
The water is rough again, as it should be with the approach to the Drake Passage. So far we have only experienced one truly rough night while sleeping. That was the evening on the way down to Antarctica(going through the Drake Passage). I will keep you posted...


Drake Passage



I am running out of minutes on the cruise ship so I might not be writing a lot of information, just a little hello and the activities of the day.

Jan. 27- CAPE HORN(where Pacific and Atlantic Oceans meet)
Head north through Drake Passage(known for treacherous waters) to Cape Horn.



Jan. 28- USHUAIA, ARGENTINA (the end of the world)- The Southern most city in the world


We took a tour through Beagle Channel . The tour lasted about 2 hours or so and we had a chance to see some sea lions and cormorants(birds).


Beagle Channel Wildlife Tour


AMALIA GLACIER- CHILE

Jan. 29-Punta Arenas,CHILE
WHAT A DAY!!!! I just spent the morning traveling to Magdalena Island. It was a two hour boat ride from Punta Arenas. It was so worth the ride, PENGUINS!!!! I can´t even explain how exciting it was to be so close to the penguins. There were over 70,000 Magellanic penguins on the island. I was in awe of how every where I turned there were more penguins to be seen or interact with. Some played by the water and others on land. Most were on land and were spending time in or around their burrow. The only dividing line from myself and the penguins was a thin piece of rope. I just had to stay behind the rope. However, the penguins like to waddle around and are always walking out of the roped off area. Again, I was only inches away from these adorable birds. These penguins waddle rather quickly compared to the King penguins. In addition, they would snap at our legs if we came too close. I was wearing jeans and was snapped at only twice. Please, you must travel to Chile or the Falkland Islands. Both of my penguin experiences were unbelievable.


Magellanic penguins
Bottom- seconds before I get snapped by the penguin




Magellanic penguins Swimming!


Feb. 2- Santiago, CHILE


This is my last day on the cruise ship. I hope you enjoyed this part of my journey. I will definitely be posting my pictures and videos once I get home. I should hopefully have it available within the next two weeks. Thank you again for traveling with me and experiencing Argentina and Antarctica.



So long,
KMF