Saturday, November 22, 2008

PERU!!!

Updating daily(well, almost), please scroll down*

Today I am leaving for Peru. Peru is on the west coast of South America. I am extremely excited for this adventure as it is my first international trip of my year off from teaching. I have traveled internationally before and loved it. However, I have always gone with a tour group where everything was planned for me. This will be the first time where I planned the itinerary and will be traveling on my own(yes, I am a bit nervous about this). During my first three weeks in Peru I will be volunteering. The volunteer program that I am working for is called Cross Cultural Solutions. Please feel free to check out their website.... http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/

Unfortunately, I can't write too much as I still have to finish charging all my electronic gadgets before I head to the airport. I am told there are Internet cafes a short distance from my home base. I hope to be in touch through this blog within the week.

On a final note, thanks again for all the well wishes.
So long,
KMF




THE CROSS CULTURAL PROGRAM-Weekdays (weekends are FREE time to travel or do as you please)

6:30-7:30 Breakfast (Bread, cheese, jelly, butter, coffee, tea, water)
8:00 Leave in van for placements
8:30-12:30 VOLUNTEER at placements
1:00 Lunch (biggest meal of the day for Peruvians- always served with soup or some salad- my favorite is the avocado/tomato salad with lettuce.
2:00-4:00 CULTURAL ACTIVITIES (tours, lectures, spanish lessons, dance lessons, cooking lessons, or free time)
5:00- rest of the evening FREE TIME
7:00- Dinner and more free time

Sat. November 22- My flight to Peru was about 8 hours. I left at 4pm and arrived around 12 midnight. THERE IS NO TIME DIFFERENCE between Peru and New Jersey. I landed in the capital of Peru, Lima, and went through immigrations. The line was enormous and took about 45 min. to get to the counter. There were a total of 12 separate counters where they check passports. Next I went to the baggage carousel. I couldn´t wait to get my luggage and get going. My flight was delayed an hour and I knew the driver from Cross Cultural Solutions(CCS) was already waiting for me. Suitcases kept appearing and I was patiently awaiting mine. Suddenly, I heard someone say my name. I was excited because I thought it was a person from my program. Unfortunately it was not. The man said that my luggage was lost. Not the news I wanted to hear. Then he said, " Just kidding, we have it, it is in TEXAS." Again, not what I wanted to hear. I had to fill out a delayed baggage claim and they explained that once my luggage arrived they would drop it off to my home-base. After speaking to some Continental representatives, I found Jorge, my driver. He couldn´t speak any English, so it was difficult explaining my situation. However, he did hand me a nice cold bottle of water. I never enjoy these situations, but I managed not to get upset. Jorge took us on a 45 min. ride to our residence in Surco, Peru. At this point it was about 2 am. I went to my room and the night was finally over.


My roommates, Hayley and Jonna
Sunday, Nov. 23- Today I met my roommates, Jonna and Hayley. Jonna is from Chicago and Hayley from the UK(United Kingdom). They are extremely friendly and showed me around Surco. Both have been here for 3 weeks and know the area pretty well. They took me to an internet cafe and I also changed my dollars for nuevos soles. $20= 60 nuevos soles(1 dollar = 3 nuevos soles). For an hour on the internet it costs under a dollar, 1.50 nuevos soles. We headed back to the home-base and had lunch. Lunch is the biggest meal here. Usually we are served an appetizer and then the main course. Fruit is always served as dessert(bananas, mangos, apples, oranges). Later on I went to an area called Barranco. I went with two other girls as well, Robyn (Sydney, Australia) and Dana(Connecticut). We enjoyed walking around and seeing the Pacific Ocean. There are a lot of people in the house. Most rooms have bunk beds. I am sleeping on the bottom bunk. Right now there are 19 volunteers in the house. The maximum number of volunteers in the house at one time can be 42. There are many people from the USA, but also Canada, Australia, and Europe. Most people range in age from 18 to 30, then there are some older people like myself. It is so wonderful to meet all these people who have the same passion as myself, travel and gaining insight into other cultures.

Monday, Nov. 24- This morning I was taken to my volunteer placement(a 30 min. drive). It is an area that is in absolute poverty. This means that a family of four is living on $1 US dollar a day. In most cases, there is no electricity or running water. I am placed in a building called INABIF. It serves as a daycare and eating facility. Many of these children don´t have food and are feed breakfast and lunch at the sight. Today I worked from 9-12:30. The language barrier was my biggest struggle. I wish professora was by my side. Instead, I tried my best. I am working with 20 students that range from 8 years old all the way up to 16(boys and girls). Some other volunteers are with 4 and 5 year olds. Amongst the three volunteers, I felt the most comfortable using my spanish which is best with the older kids. I have to say, I did a lot of smiling and "Come se dice...?" Around 12:30 the van came and we were all brought back to the home-base. MY LUGGAGE ARRIVED!!!! I was so happy. Lunch was delicious! The CCS program provides three meals a day(also on the weekend). That is a part of the program fee, as well as filtered water(I am told not to even brush my teeth with the water here), transportation to INABIF, spanish tutoring twice a week, and some sight seeing trips to museums and areas of interest. I will say that the cost to volunteer for CCS is quite hefty. It is a strange concept to me, paying to volunteer. However, there is so much included and I feel extremely safe in a country I know little about.
Tonight I was able to meet up with a lady I met while working at Ann Taylor Loft in California. Her name is Zoila and we have been emailing prior to my visit here. She grew up in Peru, but now lives in Santa Monica, CA. I had to take a cab for the first time by myself(in the evening). Fortunately there is a 24 hour security worker in the house who was able to get me a cab for only 4 soles! The cab ride went better than I expected and he even took Zoila and I to a place called Larcomar in Miraflores(the town next to Surco). It is a modern outdoor shopping area with many expensive shops(I guess I would compare it to The Shops at Riverside-expensive clothing). There was a restaurant called Mangos and we enjoyed some Yuca(friend potato wedges with a white cheese inside) with a yellow dipping sauce(extremely sweet). Delicious!! It was great to meet up with someone who is actually from here.


Tues., Nov. 25- (Short entry)Went to my placement again. Nothing too much to report. This afternoon I had a short Spanish lesson, went to the internet, and hung around the house. A bunch of us opted to go out for dinner instead of eating at the home-base. We went to a restaurant called Tanta. It was great to be in a different environment for a meal. It was also another chance for me to get to know the people in my house better.
Wed., Nov. 26- Woke up this morning and had the breakfast I have eaten the last three days here, bread and peanut butter(I went to the market, Plaza Vea, and purchased the peanut butter, $5). Plaza Vea is similar to a ShopRite with a mini Target in it(Electronic section, some clothing, bedding, office supplies, etc). It is a 5 minute walk from the home-base and there is a food court next to Plaza Vea. There is a wonderful gelato place that I have already tested out. Okay, enough about my other passion in life, food. The van I went in had 8 other volunteers, all at different placements. I walked back into INABIF and some of the children seemed happy to see me. It was a bit easier today. I am starting to learn more Spanish since I have to use it all the time. I try to teach them English and they teach me Spanish. However, since it really isn´t a school, most times they want to jugar(play soccer). I tried explaining to the students that where I teach in New Jersey that I am a teacher with a lot of rules(el stricto). I don´t think they truly understood me. Some of the kids like to hit each other, "no mas"(no more) was my phrase of the day. I help serve the children their two meals. Breakfast is usually bread and a fruit. Lunch consists of soup and then a bowl of rice, chicken, and potatoes. Around 12:20 my van and driver, Jorge, picked me up. The ride back to the home-base was about 30 minutes. We were served lunch around 1pm and then at 3 went on a tour of Miraflores. Miraflores is a beautiful coastal town. I hate to admit this, but I went on one of those double decker buses. I often see them in NYC and thought I would never ride on one, but while on a tour it is easy to say yes. Shortly after the tour, there was a lecture back at the house. The speaker explained about the history and politics in Peru.
Following our dinner, we had to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. There is a place called Martincitos, which is similar to an old age home. If you are 65 or older living in absolute poverty(remember, making $1 a day for a family of four), they can receive two hot meals(breakfast and lunch) on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Some of the people may not eat on the other days as they cannot afford to buy food.
The volunteers that are here for only a week are placed in Martincitos. Even though Peruvians and the rest of the world do not celebrate Thanksgiving (it is an American holiday), we are preparing a Thanksgiving feast for these elderly people. This required us to prepare a lot of the food. I will tell you that we spent 3 HOURS cutting string beans(other people were peeling apples and potatoes, then cutting them). Yes, three hours because the person in charge wanted all the string beans to be exactly one inch long. After we would cut thousands of string beans, he would sort through and tell us that we were not cutting them properly. It became a big joke by the end of the night(it reminded me of a popular Seinfeld episode dealing with soup). By 11 pm we had finally finished. We originally started with three people cutting string beans. The last hour there were 12 of us cutting. Otherwise, it would have taken longer than 3 hours.

Thursday, November 27 (Thanksgiving in USA)- This morning I didn´t go to INABIF because I wanted to participate in the Thanksgiving feast at the elderly center, Martincitos. The nine volunteers who work there all week long are putting on a play to explain Thanksgiving. It is a short play with the Pilgrims and Native Americans. We also will be serving them their lunch. Around 10 am I stopped by the internet cafe. I try to go once a day to check my emails and write on this blog. Some days it is easier to get there than others. It only costs 1 soles (33cents) for about an hour. At 11 am we packed into the van and headed to the Thanksgiving feast. The Peruvians of Martincitos were grateful and they also did some singing and dancing for us. Once I get home, I will try to upload some videos I have of their performances.
This afternoon four other girls from my house and I went to the Indian Market in Miraflores. It is similar to a human maze and separate vendors are there selling their special Peruvian items. It was quite overwhelming, but enjoyable at the same time. A true shopper would have a fantastic time here. I even got to use some of my bargaining skills. We then took a cab to San Antonio´s (a wonderful pastry/ice cream place). It only costs 6 soles for a cab ride($2). In Peru there are no meters in the cabs so you must agree upon a price before you enter the car. I love to bargain and have even been able to get a 4 soles cab ride($1.33). It is a fun game, but if they don´t like your price they will also drive away. Our dinner tonight was similar to a States(USA) Thanksgiving. We had turkey, cranberry sauce, peas, potatoes, blue cheese butter, and pecan pie. Unfortunately my favorite item, stuffing, was not on the mesa(table). It was a low key night in the house, many of us just sat around and discussed our backgrounds in travel. Some of these people are amazing and have lived in other countries for months at a time or have experienced such incredible situations.

I am so glad that I am traveling as a volunteer. It is extremely different from the way I have normally traveled. I am exposed to the Peruvian people and their language on a daily basis. I obviously speak English in the house, but at the store or at my placement I must use Spanish. Staying in a house compared to a hotel is also a huge change. I just learned that we are not allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet. I can use toilet paper, but I must throw it out in the garbage!!

Friday, Nov. 28- I finished my first week at my placement!!! It was a challenging week for me as many of my chicos(boys) did not enjoy listening to me when I was teaching English. I spoke to someone who could explain to the children that I would only need 30 min. a day for some English and then they could play. They seemed to behave very well for me today. I felt really good about today. By 1pm I was quite hungry. We were served a beet, carrot, pea salad(I passed on this) and lunch was white rice and fish with onions and red peppers.
Today nine of the volunteers were leaving so we had a meeting to discuss our experiences.
The weekend is here and I am excited to take it easy. The weather is mild and I don´t have to wear a jacket. As you might recall, it is the end of spring (almost summer) here. The sky is never truly clear here in Peru. Nonetheless, I always feel the sun and humidity.

Saturday, Nov. 29- This morning I actually got up early and went for a walk. It went well ,except I got lost during the last five minutes. Quickly, I tried to retrace my steps and somehow I was able to figure it out. There are only 9 volunteers at the house this week. It is pretty quiet since the others left.
Around 10 am I went to downtown Lima on my own. This was my first time taking a cab for a long distance by myself. It worked out quite nicely. I do my best with Spanish. My cab driver actually lived in Queens, NY for a couple months. However, he couldn´t speak any English. So, we communicated through my broken Spanish. He dropped me off in Lima where the travel agency that I had emailed back and forth was located. It took about an hour or so for her to help arrange my trip to Machu Picchu(more on that later). On the way back to Surco, my cab driver was a lady(the first I ¨ve encountered on the trip). By the way, in the word I ve I am aware that I am using quotation marks rather than an apostrophe. I am having trouble finding it on this computer keyboard. However, I can use some fun spanish keys such as ñ or ¿ .
This afternoon Jonna(my roommate), Dana, Ashby, and I went to to Parque Kennedy(Kennedy Park) in Miraflores. I love Miraflores! We spent some of the afternoon walking around, looking at art work, enjoying the weather(today was beautiful-first clear sky), and of course, eating some gelato. I never thought I would consume so much gelato in Peru(maybe Italy). There was this wonderful gelato place called Dove Vai where I had the most spectacular mint gelato. Fantastico! By the way, the above named people are the the people in the house that I have spent the most time with (also, Hayley-roommate and Robyn). Ashby and Dana are amazing. They both separately decided to take the year off to travel before going to college. They are young, but so mature. They will both be spending about 3 months total in Peru. Ashby is then traveling all through South America until June of 2009. Dana is headed home for the holidays and then to Tanzania in January for another couple of months. It amazes me that these young girls are so adventurous, courageous, and capable of traveling in foriegn countries. It is something I would not have been able to do at 18 or 19 myself, a trait I certainly admire.
Tonight was a low key evening. After a small dinner of noodles with chicken stir-fry and peppers, we all headed to the bakery a couple blocks down from the home-base. There are desserts but also a little area to read or hang out with friends. By 9pm we all headed back to home for an early evening.

Sunday, Nov. 30th- I went on another walk this morning and I managed not to get lost. I also called my parents. It was so nice to be able to speak with them both. I actually got a little emotional when I hung the phone up.
I went to a place called Casa de Panchita this afternoon. It is a place for ladies who are domestic workers(maids/cleaning ladies, etc.) and can spend time together on their day off. There are English lessons, arts and crafts, a happy place for these women. I assisted two college students from the states(one from California and one from Maryland). The two girls taught the women English. It was nice to be in an environment where the ladies were so appreciative and they also listened when you spoke.
After 2 hours there, I was off to Larcomar to meet the gals in the house. It was another beautiful day in Surco, the sun shining and we thought we would meet up at 5:30 for the sunset. Unfortunately, by that time the clouds rolled in and it became windy. Although we were disappointed, we were able to have some delicious gelato. It was another low key evening of chatting, reading, and sleep.

Mon., Dec. 1- My roommates are away for three nights. They took a mini trip to the jungle. If you volunteer more than 2 weeks, you are alloted time off. For example, 2 weeks- 1 day off, 3 weeks-2 days off and after that I am unsure. All I know is if I want to take two days off to travel, I can.
My morning at INABIF was fun today. The kids are really into learning the english words in the song ¨Feliz Navidad.¨ Apparently, in Peru, my singing voice is something people want to hear. They kept asking me to sing again and again. I would say that I spent a good 45 min. singing Feliz Navidad with the kids(especially the girls). I know that I only work for four hours, which may seem short to many people. However, I am exhausted every single day that I leave at 12:20. There is only one lady that can actually speak a little English at my site(she is the same level of english as I am spanish, plus, she is working and cannot sit by my side to translate). The only resource I have is my handy dandy Passport to Spanish book. Therefore, I am truly trying to speak for myself as well as comprehend what the kids are saying. It is taxing on all of us. I would say that most volunteers feel the same way(believe me, I´ve asked and seen them fall asleep in the van).
The rest of the afternoon was for shopping at the Inka Market. I was so tired that I didn´t feel like walking to the internet to write Monday´s blog entry(today is Tues.).
I forgot to mention that I tried a popular soda here in Peru, Inca Kola. It is neon yellow soda that tastes like bubble gum. The kids here love it more than Coke or Pepsi. I love sweets, but drinking something sweet is a little different. I had a half a cup and that was plenty. I think it would be great as a drink after dinner.

Tues., Dec. 2- My room is so quiet without my roommates. I can´t wait to hear about their adventures in the jungle. This morning I was able to do some home visits rather than INABIF. There are some elderly people that can´t make it to Martincitos on M, W, and F. Therefore, the CCS program sends us volunteers to their homes to make them happy. Many of the elderly have no family or family that doesn´t visit them. They are sad and it is our desire to make them feel cared for. We went to four houses and drove around the village. I can´t put into words to truly help you all comprehend the level of poverty that these people live in. I am shocked most by the garbage. I don´t know why it is this that shocks me most(well maybe I am fasinated by it most), but it is unbelievable. There seems to be no sanitation system at all. I even think I saw the sanitation truck (which is similar to a pick up truck) put the new garbage ontop of the other heaps of trash on the side of the street. Then there are the dogs that eat at the garbage. It is truly another type of world that I know nothing about. I can see it and take pictures, donate money, volunteer, or smile, but I don´t live their life to comprehend what it is like. Or, is it really not as bad as it seems? After all , this is the life they know.


Wed., Dec. 3- Four of us volunteers went on a city tour of downtown Lima today(after our placements). We were able to see the president´s house, the main square, some parks, and a famous monastery(with catacombs- underground cemetery). This evening I started not to feel well. Since I arrived, there is always someone sick in the house. I guess it was bound to happen.

Thurs., Dec. 4th- SANDBOARDING DAY. I woke up at 3:30 this morning. Although I was still not feeling well, I booked a bus ride with another volunteer to a place called Huacachina(pronounced Wok-a-chee-na). Huacachina is popular for sandboarding and towering sand dunes. Kelly and I took a cab to the bus station. Our bus was scheduled to leave at 4:15 am and arrive around 9 am. It was a really enjoyable ride since the seats were nicely cushioned and had a device that elevated our legs. By 9:30 we were in another cab headed to the sand dunes. Kelly has also done an a lot of traveling in her young life(21 years old). She is always up for traveling or an adventure. When she mentioned joining her on this trip, I was hesitant(because of my dislike of heights) but excited. Usually when I am in another country I can convince myself to do something daring that I would never do while in the states. For example, I went skydiving in Australia. I would definitely not do that back home.

By 10 am we found a taxi and the man that was driving directed us to a sandboarding place. Alberto, the taxi driver, was extremely helpful. At first he found a place for us that would only be 45 soles($15) for a two hour sandboarding adventure. However, it wasn´t meant to be because there wasn´t enough room for two more people in the dune buggy. At 10:15 Alberto dropped us off at a place called Bananas. Antonio, the dune buggy driver and operator of Bananas tours, ended up giving us a deal. Since he had not planned on a tour for just two people, he would charge a bit more. Kelly and I each gave Antonio 60 soles($20) and hopped into his mini dune buggy. We were a bit disappointed because there was a monster dune buggy and we wanted to go in that one. However, we couldn´t complain because Antonio was doing us a favor. Just a side note, sandboarding tours are usually only done in the morning around 10 or in the late afternoon at 4pm. This is because the sun is way too strong in the middle of the day. Many people like to go in the afternoon because then they get to enjoy the sunset as well. We didn´t know, but another person was joining our ¨private¨tour. We stopped by a hostel and picked up Christa. She was just as nervous as me and so I was glad to have her along in our mini group.
The tour was awesome! The two hours are combined with driving and sandboarding. Antonio drove around for the first 10 minutes going up and down sand dunes. Apart of the package is to make it fun, this includes driving rather fast up and down hills. Thank goodness for seatbelts. Honestly, it wasn´t that bad, I might compare it to a slow rollercoaster. At our first stop we took pictures and enjoyed the scenery. Suddenly, Antonio grabbed our boards and handed us a piece of wax to rub against the bottom of the board(makes the board go quicker in the sand). Somehow I was the first person to go. I expected a little demonstration. Not so much. I had decided that I was definitely opting for sandboarding ¨easy style.¨ This meant I was laying my stomach down on the board and sledding down the dune. I have snowboarded before and I know from my experiences that I was safer being on my stomach than standing up. Continuing on...Antonio stood in front of me holding my board. Apparently there is no one, two, three because without warning Antonio let go of my board and I was off down the dune. The first dune was the only one where I let go of my board and fell off. However, it was kind of fun considering I was tumbling in sand. After each person got to the bottom of the dune, Antonio would drive down and pick us up in the buggy. The next four runs were amazing. I was so excited after being able to finish the first one so easily(except the tumble). Overall, it was a smooth ride down because the sand was so soft. After our fifth dune, Antonio headed back to the Banana office. I was confused since we were told that we were getting 2 hours and it had only been 1 hour and 45 min. I wanted to go to some higher dunes. What was going on? Since my Spanish isn´t that great, I did the best to explain that we had paid for two hours and we were going to get two hours worth. Kelly later told me that my east coast/Jersey attitude was how we got him to go back out for one more run. I just wanted what was fair and if I had to be a little assertive, well, I had no problem doing that.

Antonio left the little buggy back at Bananas and for our last fifteen minutes we got to go in a real buggy. Antonio became a wild and crazy driver(yes, my seatbelt was on). It was thrilling and amusing. Our last dune was extremely high. Finally, we had reached a height that would be a bit scary and challenging. In one word- Fantastic! It was worth every soles we had paid for it. At the completion of our little tour, we were covered in sand: Pockets, shoes, socks, hair, ears, eyebrows, EVERYWHERE!

Kelly and I had 5 more hours to kill before the bus ride back to Lima. Unfortunately, I became ill with a terrible fever and Alberto (the cab driver) and Kelly had to ride into town to get me medicine. When they came back , my fever was worse. Alberto put this orange liquid on a cloth and then on my forehead. It is supposed to bring down a fever. It smelled terrible, think nail polish remover and vinegar. The liquid did help, but it was a long bus ride home. At 11pm we arrived in Lima and then took one last taxi back to the home-base.

Friday, Dec. 5- I didn´t go to work today because I still have a fever. I spent the day in bed and just rested. I have no appetite, which is something that rarely ever happens to me. I can´t even stand being around the smell of food(especially meat).

In the evening I tried to be somewhat social since everyone was staying in the house. Hayley and Jonna were also back from their trip to the jungle. All 10 of us gals in the house watched a movie. Kim brought her laptop to the family room area and we were able to watch the movie, Love Actually. It was the first time many of us have watched TV since we have arrived. The home-base is TV free.

Sat., Dec. 6 - Fever seems to have broken, but I am extremely exhausted. Ate some jello and crackers. The cook in the house was kind enough to make me jello last night so I would have something to eat today. I made it to the internet, but am now headed back to the house again. The rest of the girls went to Larcomar. We also have 6 new volunteers this week.

Sun., Dec. 7th- I spent most of the day in the house again. I only left to come to the internet and get some fresh air. Tomorrow I will head back to work, but not INABIF. The daycares and schools are closed for a Peruvian holiday. I am excited to visit Mother Teresa´s.

I just wanted to mention that Friday, Sat, and Sunday were beautiful days here in Surco. The sun was shining and the sky was blue. Summer is almost here!

Mon., Dec. 8th- I was still feeling a bit lethargic today, but was ready to get back in the game. This morning I went to Mother Teresa´s in La Victoria. It is another area where there is a great deal of poverty. The people who are at Mother Teresa´s are quite special. It is for individuals that are mentally or physically challenged. There are two levels or floors at this facility. The first floor is only for the adult men(over 100 men). The second floor is for a small group of children and the adolescent boys. Majority of these people have been abandoned by their families and are taken care of by the nuns or volunteers at this site. They rely on them for food, hygiene, care, and support.
When I arrived, I started off on the roof helping with the wash. There weren´t any machine washers/dryers so we did everything by hand. I borrowed a pair of boots and put on a rubber apron. One lady washed the clothes and then there were three buckets that I would place the article in to soak, clean, and rinse. Next, a group of girls would wring out the water and hang them on the clothesline. Once that was completed, I was able to go to the children´s area. Here most of the children were in wheelchairs and couldn´t communicate verbally. I was there to help with feeding time. It was a challenge since most couldn´t hold up their head. Half the children were fed through a feeding tube. I assisted another lady as she fed the girl, I held her head. Following their pureed lunch, we brushed their teeth, changed their diapers, and then put the kids down for a nap. The rest of the morning involved sitting with the kids and just interacting with them so that they could receive some attention.
As I sat in the van on my way home, I thought how could I ever complain about anything so minor in my own life. I am so fortunate to have a family that has been supportive and loving. Additionally, I can feed and take care of myself. I can´t imagine being born and having my family leave me because they couldn´t finacially support me or just didn´t want me at all. It was a day that I will remember for a long time.

This afternoon we went to the Indian Market in Miraflores and stopped for some gelato. I was able to eat the gelato. The first sign that I was truly starting to feel better. At dinner I ate some bread and jello. Anything that is pureed, which is a lot of the items served in the house, are still making me nauseous. I know, after seeing what I saw this morning, I shouldn´t complain, but I am just sticking with the updates on the blog.

Tues., Dec. 9th- This morning I was able to eat a whole serving of bread. I am starting to feel back to my old self. I had plenty of energy and was ready to see my kids at INABIF. It was a great day and the weather was beautiful.

I can´t believe this is my last week volunteering in Villa El Salvador. Although I struggled with my placement the first couple of days, I will truly miss the older students I have been working with.

Wed., Dec. 10th- Today was awesome! I spent the day with the senior group of Martincitos. After a quick morning breakfast, the seniors loaded onto two buses. We, the CCS volunteers, went in our own mini van. We were all in for a holiday treat(Picking this time of the year to volunteer has been wonderful. I have been able to see many things I wouldn´t have seen if it wasn´t Christmas) The seniors would be performing some of their dances from Thanksgiving for students at this private high school. In turn, the school children were doing a skit and some dances for the seniors. It was fantastic. The seniors were adorable and the high school students were talented. I loved the dances by the school children. However, my favorite part was the band. There was a group of boys that were a mini rock band. After playing a Peruvian song, they surprised the crowd with a song by Guns-n-Roses called ¨Sweet Child O Mine.¨ This is obviously a song I grew up listening to and loved hearing them sing it. By the way, most children that I have spoken to in Peru really like Guns-N-Roses and Aerosmith. It is interesting which American artists they are in love with. I´ve also heard some kids mention the Jonas Brothers. Once two girls from my school even broke out singing the theme song from Titanic by Celine Dion. Oh, and I can`t forget, the 80s are quite popular here.

This afternoon we were taken to La Playa(the beach) for our lunch. The staff brought sandwiches and we set up little umbrellas to enjoy some time away from the home-base. The sun was extremely strong today. After a short time of sitting out, I took a stroll by the water to cool off. The Pacific Ocean was cold, but not frigid. I can´t tell you how nice it was to just get away from our house for a little. The house is great, but it is also nice to have some time in the open air.

Our ride home home from the beach was a bit bumpy. Well, everyday is a bit bumpy. Let´s just say that if there are driving laws in Peru(well, where I am staying in Peru), they really aren´t followed. And, there certainly aren´t cops around giving parking tickets, or any sort of ticket. I have been to some countries where the taxi drivers are pretty wild. However, it seems that all the drivers here(this is only my experince) are wild. There aren´t lanes in some areas and cars are just merging whenever they want to. The horn is always used to beep another car out of the way. Our drivers are great, but they live here and must do the same in order to not get in an accident. I remember one of the volunteers would close her eyes and sigh a lot the first week of placement. By the second week she wasn´t flinching at all. I´m going to say there is not a lot of order on the road, but I trust the drivers at my house. Oh, and there are tons of speed bumps on the roads. This might be because there are not many stop signs or traffic lights in certain areas. The best is the circle of death. Yes, that is what we call it. It is up the road from our house. It is a giant circle where cars are getting on and off, but drivers don´t follow the lanes and cars merge whenever they want. When people try to cross the street, it is as if the car is speeding up in order to get points for hitting you. Sounds fun, huh. It just means that we all have to keep our eyes open. Pedestrians certainly don´t have the right of way here.

Thurs., Dec. 11th- It is a scorcher today in Peru. I can just imagine how hot it gets when it is actually summer. I am told there is hardly ever any rain here. And if there is, it is a mist that only lasts a short while.

Tonight a bunch of us from the house are going out for Italian food, well, Peruvian-Italian food. There are a couple people leaving besides myself this weekend and we thought it would be nice to go out. Also, we so need a break from the traditional food we are served in the house.

Fri., Dec. 12th- Today was my last day at INABIF in Villa El Salvador(45 min. outside of Lima). When I first arrived, I was overwhelmed by what I saw. The garbage, dusty air, shacks, dogs(tons of them), unpaved roads, etc. However, as time went on it was just like another day of work for me. I know that doesn´t sound right, but you adapt to your environment. As little as these kids have(material wise and food), they are not upset every day or crying. Many of them don´t have more than 3 or 4 outfits(from what I´ve seen) and certainly are not playing video games in their little shacks. They live life just like you and I, just a bit differently. As one of the other volunteers pointed out, they have worries and stresses just like everyone else. They are people, rather than a problem that needs help being fixed. I am sure my money was helpful, but it is actually me or any other volunteer spending the time with these kids or people. Getting to know them and understand their life. Although my goal was to make an impact and teach them English, maybe they actually taught me more than I taught them. It is funny how things work out.

Tonight is my last night in Lima because tomorrow I will be flying to Cusco. From Cusco I head to Machu Picchu..... Let´s go back in time...The year was 1985 and I was in third grade at Cherry Hill School. That year my teacher was Ms. Thompson. I don´t remember all the details, but Ms. Thompson had taken a trip and brought back each student in my class a souvenir. It was a book from somewhere outside the USA. After skimming the book briefly(not truly interested to be honest), I took it home and placed it on my book shelf. Through the years I would recycle or donate some of my books, but the book from Ms. Thompson always managed to stay on my shelf. Not that I actually read it, but I held on to it. ... Today, I am here in Peru. I never thought that I would be going to the place that Ms. Thompson had traveled to 23 years ago. Yes, that´s right, the book was about Cusco and Machu Picchu. Little did I know that after so many years of not being read, I would not be able to put the book down.

So, in case I don´t get to an internet while in Cusco, I am headed to the famous Inca ruins of Machu Picchu. I will be 11,000 feet above sea level. I have already started taking my altitude sickness medication and hope to have a successful journey. Until I reach an internet cafe, Hasta Luego!

Sat., Dec. 13th- Cusco Where do I begin? For some reason I am being tested to see if I can remain calm. It seems like this has been the theme of my trip to Peru. First my delayed luggage, then getting sick, my video camera stopped working, and now some problems this morning. I arrived two hours prior to my domestic flight, paid my flight tax ($6.05), and enjoyed a smooth one hour flight. Sometimes flights are delayed to Cusco because of the weather over the Andes Mountians. I certainly was happy that my flight was right on schedule. So far, so good, or so I thought. When I arrived at the terminal, my luggage was there (big sigh of relief). I then went outside and there were tons of taxi drivers trying to give me and the rest of the people a ride. I kept telling them that I was already getting picked up. Well, 15 minutes went by and the person who was supposed to pick me up was not there. I had to make a phone call and then waited another 15 minutes for Orlando to arrive. As I might have mentioned, I have never ever traveled by myself in a foreign country. I am already a bit nervous as it is and these little bumps in the road certainly are not something I am enjoying. I guess I just have to look at it that I am learning how to handle these situations and eventually I get to where I am supposed to be.

By 10: 30 I was settled into my hotel. I was really looking forward to watching some tv, but that is not something provided at this hotel. I took a nap (I forgot to mention I have a cold now) and then headed into town. The main square is beautiful. There are two churches, a water fountain, tons of stores, and lots of tourists. I walked around a bit and noticed that I was approached a lot. Some were beggining for money, others trying to sell art work, and tons of ladies offering manicures, pedicures, and massages. They were actually chasing me as I said, no gracias. I did consider the massage for a couple of minutes. The lady took me down a dim lit hallway and then up three flights of stairs. The lights were off in the tiny room and it didn't look like it was open for business. Right then and there I decided against the massage. However, they were quite persistent. I decided on having something different for dinner. I went to McDonalds here in Cusco. Sometimes you just need a cheeseburger and fries. The fries were the same as the ones back in the states(maybe a tad bit too salty) and the burger was good. It had some extra black seasoning on it and the texture was different, but overall was pretty good.

I am tired, but haven't experienced terrible altitude problems(light headed, dizzy, throwing up). I am going to go and enjoy a peaceful evening and anticipate my Inca trail hiking adventure will go well. I will most likely not have computer access for the next two days in Machu Picchu.

Sunday, Dec. 14- INKA TRAIL Well it turns out that I did have some problems with the altitude. Mine was a burping problem. I didn´t know that burping was a side affect, but it is. All through the evening I couldn´t stop burping . It certainly wasn´t a pleasant taste in my mouth(I could be more graphic, but I will spare you the details).

When I walked out of my little hotel room, it was raining. This was obviously a bit disappointing at first. However, it is to be expected because this is the rainy season(the worst of it is in Jan. and Feb.). I was picked up around 6:30 and met the two other people joining me on the 2 day Inca Trail, Liam and Britt from Ireland. They were older in age(maybe early 60s), but I would soon learn that they were much more experienced in trekking than me. They even had the hiking poles. We took a train called the Perurail from Cusco to Machu Picchu. We were on the train for about 3 1/2 hours and then got off at 104 Kilometers(before it actually reached Machu Picchu). Side note~ On the train I met a couple from Los Angeles who had also not received their luggage. I think lost luggage is a common thing in Peru.~ From this point we would be hiking a trail to the world famous Lost city of the Incas, Machu Picchu.

I could go into a lot of details here, but I will try to make it short(yes, I know this is hard for me). First, I would like to mention that I have only hiked a handful of times in my life. Of all my experiences, my fondest hiking was through the Delware Water Gap with some college buddies my senior year. We hiked in the evening and camped through the night. It was cool because we could walk home and see the sun rising on our way back to campus. Otherwise than that and my recent hike in Oahu, nothing really has compared. If I were to have actually read about this trail prior to going, I would not have been enticed at all. It was a 10 KM trail(a little over 6 miles) with thousands of steps to climb. We did the first three miles from 11-2:30. We stopped along the way numerous times to catch our breath. I had two bottles of water and a cereal bar. The trail had tons of steps that were uneven and on an incline, as well as a dirt path that followed the curve of the mountain. The steps were jagged and I had to focus on every step I took. There were no railings along the way, so being extra cautious was important. Another thing I forgot to mention was that I was hiking with my backpack. My backbag with clothes, books, insect spray, etc. It was probably why I struggled so much with the first part. Right before lunch we stopped at Winaywayna(more ruins from the Inca times). Of course, there were some more steep steps to climb.


A quick lunch was provided with the tour. Fried rice with chicken, fruit, and some crackers. We stopped for 30 minutes, I bought two more bottles of water, and the four of us continued. Antonio could tell I was tired(he also knew I had a cold), and mentioned that the porter(the porter is there to carry extra baggageor luggage for hikers) could carry my backpack. I couldn't refuse the offer. The second half of the hike was much easier. We went through some jungle like areas, but nothing like the inclines in the first section of the trail. Around 4 pm we reached the Inti Punku or sun gate. It only required us to climb 52(the picture to the right) more steps made of stone and we would be able to see Machu Picchu from afar. It was incredible. I can't even explain how rewarding it was to see such beauty after all of our hard work. What an accomplishment for all of us!

From here, we walked another 40 minutes or so and could take some close up pictures of Machu Picchu. It was 5 pm and our group headed to the bus area. We took a 25 min. ride to the town of Aguas Calientes. It is a tiny little village where Peruvians cater to the tourists. All the tiny passage ways are up hill. After my day of intense hiking, I was certainly slow walking to my hostal.


Aguas Calientes

Mon., Dec. 15 - I woke up early to catch the 6: 30 bus back up to Machu Picchu(meaning old mountain). Today Antonio took Liam, Britt, and I through the Inca city of Machu Picchu. Here we saw spectacular views. At 7 am the clouds were rolling in and we took more pictures. Antonio explained the history of the Inca Empire. The Inca Empire was from 1438-1533. Although this was a short amount of time, the Inca Empire has had a major impact on Peru and its culture/history. Machu Picchu, in the Andes Mountains, was important to the Incas because it was useful for military purposes as well as religious. The Incas believed in the Sun God and being so high up they felt as if they were closer to the God. Many Incas would travel from long distances(Ecuador, Chile, Bolivia) to visit Machu Picchu. In the 1500s the Spanish conquest of the Incas left Machu Picchu abandoned(even though locals knew of it). It wasn't until 1911, when Yale graduate, Hiram Bingham, brought Machu Picchu to worldwide attention. Since then it has become a major tourist attraction in Peru. Thousands of visitors explore the "Lost City of the Incas" daily.
By 11 am we were done with our tour. I headed back into Aguas Calientes and tried to find some lunch. Around 3pm I was getting ready to head back onto the Perurail. However, I was now taking the Vistadome Rail instead of the Backpacker(the train I took on my way to Machu Picchu). The Vistadome was more expensive, but could get me home sooner to rest. After all, I still had a head cold. The Vistadome was quite enjoyable. We were served a snack, had comfy seats, and even had some entertainment. Yes, a fashion show with ABBA's Dancing Queen playing in the background. It was hysterical. There was also a Peruvian clown of some sort who kept going up to people with his stuffed animal llama and pretended to kiss them(see pic. below). Again, hysterical. By 7:30 I was back in Cusco and headed right to bed.


Tues., Dec. 16 (Today I met another person who still hasn't received her luggage- truly a common theme in Peru).
Sacred Valley Tour- last day in Cusco area. Cusco is so different from Lima. Lima is so modern and Cusco represents more of the Inca lifestyle. These people live in and around


the Andes Mountain range. I saw so many women dressed in traditional Peruvian outfits. The Sacred Valley tour included four destinations: Pisac, Uruabama, Ollantaytambo, and Chinchero. I hopped on the bus with about 28 other people I didn´t know. The first stop was to Pisac. It was extremely hot, but I saw the most breathtaking views. Grassy fields surrounded by enormous mountains and the clear blue sky peeking out from behind it all. There was also a hike, but I opted out of it. This is when I met two other ladies who were also traveling solo. Liz from Australia and Shannon from Montana(she actually lived in Antarctica for a year). The three of us could relate to one another as we shared our thoughts and experiences on traveling alone as a female. The next stop was another Inca market. I have been to so many Inca Markets while in Peru. I just browsed as I have already purchased enough items from the markets in Peru. Uruabamba was our stop for lunch only. Our third stop at the Ollantaytambo ruins we experienced rain. Yes, of course, more climbing. My legs had had it, but I decided since I already skipped one climb I would partake in this one. I didn´t bring my rain jacket so I ran through the ruins as quickly as I could. The rain actually helped my legs along. In these more remote areas a lot of children were begging for money. One child even came onto our bus and sang a song to earn money. Our last stop was Chinchero. We walked up some narrow pathways and had a spectacular view of the snow caped Andes Mountains. Here it wasn´t hot or raining, but cold. I hadn´t really experienced cold weather in a while, so I quickly purchased some gloves from one of the ladies sitting with all her handmade crafts/goods. Overall, the day was filled with visiting archaeological remains, as well as picturesque views.

I found out that there was a Irish Pub in Cusco´s main square, Paddy Flagherty´s. Liz, Shannon, and I decided to grab a bite of food that we all were more familiar with. I had a fantastic Philly Steak sandwich with fries. Yum!

Wed., Dec. 17th
I arrived back in Lima this morning and spent the entire afternoon watching TV. Dinner was chinese food at China Wok(think TGIFridays, but chinese food), a huge chain that is apparently the best chinese food around. I would have to agree. I truly enjoyed my mandarin chicken and fried rice.

It is Christmas time in Peru, but not overdone like in the states(not in your face with all the retail stores/shopping). I sometimes don´t even realize that Christmas is around the corner. I don´t hear any Christmas music and it is so hot, that it feels so far away. I know the minute I step off the plane it will be another story. I have even been checking the weather in the states and will truly miss my spring/summer days in Peru.

Thurs.,Dec. 18th
(Visit Surco to get my luggage at the volunteer house. My flight to Newark is at midnight tonight. If all goes as planned, I will be home in RE tomorrow.)

Whenever I travel to a new country, I try to always get three things from that area. I love souviners as well as something that will remind me of that country. 1-a piece of artwork from the country(painting, sculpture, tapestry, etc.) 2- a piece of jewelry and 3- some of the currency(money) from the country. I don´t actually recall how I came about these three particular catagories, but it just kind of happened.

As I am in the home strech of my journey in Peru, I am set with my artwork, jewelry, and money. So many things have happened while I was here in Peru. I have learned a great deal and my eyes have been opened a bit wider. Volunteering was a new experience for me and one that I hope to do again in the future. The people I worked with and lived with taught me so much. Additionally, sandboarding in Huacachina, visits to Miraflores, trekking along the Inka Trail, taking in Machu Picchu, and speaking Spanish. I know that a lot of unexpected things happened(the worst was being sick and being far from home) as well, but I know in the end that this trip was a remarkable experience for me and one I will never forget.

There are so many things that we have, that others do not. I leave here feeling like a millionaire. After all, that is what Peruvians think of white people. Unfortunately, the lighter your skin the better in Peru. There is a huge divide between the rich and the poor in this country. And yes, I know I am not the first person to ever travel to a under developed country. Additionally, there are other countries that have it much worse than Peru or just the same. I am just sharing what I know from my small amount of time in some of the many places in Peru.
I really appreciate:

-Clean water that I can use to brush my teeth and wash all my fruits/vegetables in.
- Paved roads, street lights, and pedestrians having the right of way.
- Having toilet paper in almost every bathroom that I´ve been to in the states and being able to flush toilet paper down the toilet(I was traveling around with a toilet paper roll the 5 days in Cusco).
-Dogs that have owners and are cared for. I swear, I´ve never seen so many dogs in my life running around on the street. Similar to birds, they have a home, but you don´t know exactly where.
- This is one that I just have to mention-Peanut butter. I bought some while here and it was one of the best things I did. I had some stomach issues during my stay and peanut butter was something that I could easily travel with.
-Moneybelts(a belt with a pouch that can be worn around the waist under your clothing)- I am glad that I had a moneybelt to hide my passport, money, and credit cards. This was the first time I've used one and I plan on using it again when I visit Europe or where ever else I am headed next.
Thank you for taking the time to read my Peruvian Experience.
Ciao!
KMF