Friday, August 8, 2008

Venice, California



California might not seem like a very exciting destination to start my "whirlwind tour" (as some of my friends call it), but it is to me. The reason- my sister lives here! Marisa, my younger sister, moved to Venice, California six years ago. She came out here with only two suitcases and started a life for herself. Marisa now lives in an apartment a mile from the beach. She is a Social Worker for the LA Unified School District, similar to what our school counselor does. Over the past six years, I have often vacationed here and even lived here for two months during the summer of 2006. I knew when I had my leave approved that I would want to spend some special time with my sister.

For the next three months it is really just about sister bonding time. Marisa and I made a list of all the things we want to do together during my stay on the West Coast. Some of them include cooking dinner (which I'm not very good at), watching classic movies(black and white), traveling to Hawaii, partaking in sporting events(5K and also a triathlon), go hiking, read some books, bowling, etc.

Although Marisa and I have all these plans, she still has to go to work. Obviously I can't just go to the beach everyday and read books for the next three months. Fortunately, I have kept in touch with some of the important people I met while living here two years ago. This made it easier to get my part time job back at a women's clothing store called Ann Taylor Loft. It keeps me busy and I love the people I work with. My red beach cruiser (bike) that was sitting in Marisa's garage for two years, is now being used daily. It is in decent shape and is my transportation since I left my car in River Edge. Many people bike around here all year long. The weather is always so beautiful which makes it easy to bike almost anywhere.

I am excited for our Hawaii trip. I've never been there and the flight is shorter flying from California than New Jersey. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to visit our 50th state. I will tell you the island we are going to starts with an O. See if you can figure out which one I will exploring.


So long for now,
KMF