Monday, October 6, 2008

San Diego, California- TRIATHLON


5:30 am, arrive at triathlon location


A triathlon is a racing event that consists of swimming, cycling, and running. To participate in a triathlon it is recommended to train at least two months in advance to prepare for each event. Serious triathletes set up training schedules and are extremely focused on the three sports, as well as their diet and exercise. There are numerous types of triathlons. Some of the most popular triathlons include the super sprint(one of the shortest in distance), sprint, Olympic, half triathlon, and full triathlon (also known as the Ironman). The ironman triathlon is the most physically demanding as it consists of a 2.4 mile (77 laps) swim, 112 mile bike ride, and a 26.2 mile (a marathon) run. The ironman happens once a year on the Big Island of Hawaii.

There are many items to purchase when preparing for a triathlon. For example, a bike(can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars), helmet, wetsuit, goggles, swim cap, and running sneakers. Those are just the basics. An enormous amount of money can be spent on gear, it just depends upon how serious each triathlete is about the sport.

I decided to participate in this triathlon because it seemed cool and it was open to anyone who was willing to try(no qualifying times). Yes, I know, some people think my idea of cool is really not. Friends have told me there are other ways to have fun such as going to a movie, sitting on the beach, or shopping. However, it was a goal I had set for myself and I was determined to do it. It was just like when I did the 2006 NYC Marathon(yes, sometimes I like to reference this event). I somehow thought that if the people on TV could do it(and some were in their 70's and 80's), so could I. I did complete the marathon, but because of an injury took the tourist approach(yes, I had my camera) and crossed the finish line in 6 hours and 34 minutes. That is what is so amazing about these events of endurance, it can be a triumph and huge accomplishment for the average person(just like you and me).

For myself personally, my motto is always to COMPLETE THE RACE not COMPETE IN THE RACE(well, except for the River Edge 5K- I do like to beat my time from the previous year). Elite triathletes will obviously compete against their own time and other triathletes. I decided to pay the $80 fee and entered the Mission Bay, San Diego Sprint Triathlon.

My sister and our friend Shannon also signed up. Our approach to training was strong at first. We would go swimming once a week and focused on running 3-4 times a week. Unfortunately, we weren't as focused towards the end of our training. Regardless, we drove two hours south from Los Angeles to see what we could accomplish with the little amount of training we had done.
On Saturday, the day before the race, we went to the Triathlon Expo. That is where we picked up our bib numbers, timing chip(worn around the ankle to give an accurate race time), and learned more about the course. The course consisted of a 500 meter swim in the Bay(not as difficult as the ocean, but definitely more challenging than a pool), a 15 K (9.3 miles) bike, and a 5K (3.1 miles) run. The distances really didn't scare me, it was the transitions that did. Each person's gear was in the transition area. After the swim portion, each triathlete would run to the transition area and put on socks, sneakers, a helmet, and grab their bike. This was a bit crazy considering 1,500 people were participating. This is also where a lot of time is lost. Marisa and I actually finished the swim at the same time, but I took more time to transition. Marisa took 5 minutes after the swimming part, I took about 8 minutes(I took my time cleaning the sand off my feet, placing on my socks neatly, clicking my helmet strap on right, etc.).

Marisa, Shannon, and I woke up at 4:30 am on Sunday, Oct. 5th. We prepped and arrived at the parking lot around 5:30 am. It was pitch black out and everyone was headed to the transition area. We had to set up our things, two towels, sneakers, helmet, water (to clean off sand), and just waited to we were called. We talked to other people and shared our thoughts and anxieties about the race about to come. At 6:50 we walked over to the bay(the swimming was done in 14 heats, every 5 minutes). We were in heat 7 and our start time was 7:10. Marisa, Shannon, and I were in the minority as far as our swimming outfits. About 95% of the people had wetsuits on(wetsuits are at least $100), we wanted to save our money and decided to wear our regular bathing suits. However, the water wasn't that bad, maybe 66 degrees. We waded in and our bodies adjusted to the temperature. The one thing that all triathletes need to be cautious of is the swimming section. Other competitors swim over you or might kick you by accident. We had to swim on the defense. We all did really well in the swim section, Shannon was even in the top ten of our heat.

The swimming portion went well. I've always enjoyed swimming, but ocean and bay swimming is different because of the current and SALT. I started off swimming freestyle, but then switched over to breaststroke. I even saw some people doing the backstroke. Aside from the salt taste in my mouth, I felt confident about my swim. SWIM TIME- 12 min. 43 sec.

The cycling portion was the most challenging for me personally. I thought since I had been riding my beach cruiser bike for the last two months that would in some way help prepare me for the race. Not quite! I definitely struggled with the 9.3 miles. Many of the triathletes were intense. I stayed on the right and let a lot of them pass me. I kept telling myself, just do what you can to complete the race and not over extend your body. I still had some running to do.
CYCLE TIME- 49 min. 17 sec. (Ouch!)

The last section was the run. My legs were a bit unsteady after the cycle(this is common for most people). I had no desire to even run, but somehow my legs were moving. They wouldn't let me stop, regardless of my exhausted body. However, I did stop a couple of times to ensure that I would cross the finish line. RUN TIME- 31 min. 6 sec.

Overall, it was a great experience for the three of us. I completed the entire sprint triathlon in 1 hr. 43 min. Marisa finished in 1 hr. and 36 min. Shannon finished right after me. We set a goal and the rewards of crossing the finish line were priceless. In the end, we were proud of our achievement- COMPLETING THE RACE!!!!

So long,
KMF
Triathletes!!!